Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Magdonos or McDonalds?

A couple of interesting Macedonian language facts:

The word for parsley (Magdonos) sounds very close to McDonalds. I was trying to ask for some parsley at the market and due to my poor pronunciation the lady pointed me towards the center of town where the restaurant McDonalds is located. She asked me if I wanted a sandwich from there.:) I really was just trying to buy some parsley which I found in the end.

We learned today that a word pronounced "house" really means "chaos" in Macedonian! Hmmm, pretty funny:)

Some of you have asked how our language study is going. I feel like it is going really well considering the short time we have been here. We both are now meeting with Maya. She is very good at explaining the grammar to us. We meet with her for atleast 20 hours per week. She went with us this week to order our new bed (Yeah!) and to order Sawyer's Thomas the Train birthday cake. Since our Macedonian is still limited Maya is very helpful to go help us with errands that require much speaking.

1 comment:

andiewade said...

what a blessing to have someone to help you guys so much! i know that must be such a huge relief for you. and happy birthday!