Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cheesecake Recipe



For many years now, my mother Teresa has baked a delicious cheesecake. Many people look forward to when she bakes a cheesecake. Here's the recipe she uses. It's from a lady named Myra from Ila, Georgia.


I was hesitant to bake a cheesecake over here because I knew I would not be able to find the exact same ingredients that are needed. But this week I decided to give it a try and it turned out delicious! Eric and I were both very excited! I'm glad I can make this dessert for my husband now because it's one of his favorites. I want to keep a record of the adjustments I made to the recipe for next time.


Myra’s Cheesecake Recipe

(with ingredient substitutions out to the side that can be found in the Balkan countries of Eastern Europe)


Crust:

2 Cups Graham Cracker Crumbs or substitute 2 Cups of your favorite cookie or cracker

¼ cup Sugar

1/3 cup oleo or butter (melted)


Mix melted butter with cracker crumbs and sugar. Press on bottom and sides of 10” spring form pan. (I was able to find my spring form pan in Sofia at HIT.) Bake five minutes at 350 degrees.


Filling:

1 and ½ lbs. (or 3 of the 175g packages) Cream Cheese

¾ Cup sugar

2 Large Eggs, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon Vanilla or 2 capsuls of Butter-Vanille Aroma by Dr. Oetker

2 tablespoons Cornstarch or flour

1 Cup Sour Cream or a medium sized container of Kiselo Mleko 3.0%


Beat together cheese and sugar until light and smooth. Beat in eggs, vanilla and cornstarch only until thoroughly mixed. Stir in sour cream until mixture is well blended. Pour into crust. Bake cheesecake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and place in refrigerator to cool immediately. This prevents cracks from forming in the cake.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Thanks, Jill. You are a special lady. Love you!